As a mother of 2 ½ year twins I will soon need to consider summer camp. I did some research on local camps in the area and wanted to share my results. I hope you find this information useful.
- Artisan Studio – Marlboro, NJ – They have classes for everyone: children ages 2 and older, as well as adults. It is located in Marlboro’s Historic Hobart House and offers a clean comfortable environment. They offer traditional classes in drawing and painting, working in all mediums such as sewing, fashion, design and illustration, mixed media recycled arts classes. They also offer prep classes for teens interested in pursuing art in college. For more information, call 732-294-0234 or visit www.artisanstudio9.com
- Black Bear Day Camp – Millstone, NJ – This camp allows campers to choose their favorite activities each week and participates in them everyday. They also receive free swim instruction and offer 3 heated pools and hot lunches in the air-conditioned dining hall. The campus includes a large for boating and fishing and more than 15,000 square feet of classrooms. Door-to-door transportation is included in the tuition. For families that need longer hours, the camp offers flexible extended day program in the morning and/or afternoon. Visit www.blackbearlake.com for program and tuition details.
- Freehold Y Day Camp at Camp Topanemus – Freehold, NJ – This camp offers affordable day camping with a 3 or 5 day per week program. Ages include campers entering kindergarten through ninth grade. Travel Camp is available for children in grades six through eight with trips to beaches, Medieval Times, Sahara Sams and others. New for 2012 is Camping 101. Form more information contact 732-294-7727 or visit www.topanemus.org.
- The Colts Neck Golf Club – Colts Neck, NJ – For those passionate about golf! Now in its 12th season Bob Gartner, the director of instruction, runs the camps. The camp features a three-to-one student/teacher ratio. Lunch, snacks and refreshments are provided. The counselors are all current and former students dedicated to and passionate about the game of golf. This camp is for both children serious about the game, or a beginner looking for an introduction. Half-day programs begin June 11 and full-day camp begins June 24. For further information call 732-303-9330 or visit their website at www.coltsneckgolfclub.com
- Sons of Israel – Manalapan, NJ – They focus on kindness, consideration and caring for others. Each day includes numbers, nature, letters and library times. Singing is offered in the sanctuary for Shabbat; holidays and hip-hop parties. The school begins at 9 months with Shake, Rattle and Grow and goes through full –day kindergarten. The children are very nurtured and made to feel important and the school focuses on the child’s confidence. The programs extend to include Torah Tots, which is a pre-Hebrew school program for those ages 5-8. For more information please contact director, Renee Narson at 732-446-4924.
- Eagle River Day Camp – Monroe Township, NJ – Everyday at camp there are activities ranging from arts and crafts to archery and everything in between. They also offer a travel camp that goes off the campsite a couple of times a week. The camp is flexible with the amount of weeks you can register for. The swim program is Red Cross certified and instructional swim is on a daily basis. Visit www.EagleRiverDayCamp.com or call 609-448-5885.
- The YMCA of Western Monmouth County – Freehold, NJ – This camp is a mission driven value-based, non-profit organization that has been around for more than 100 years. Through the “Y Cares Program” they are able to offer programs at reduced rates to all members of the community regardless of their financial status. Some of the programs offered include: Kiddie Kamp, Junior Kiddie Kamp, Swim/Multi Sport Camp and Competitive Swim Camp. Visit www.ymcanj.org for further information.
- Frogbridge Day Camp – Millstone, NJ – This camp is a private, family-owned facility welcoming campers entering pre-K through 10th grade. The 86-acre campus offers all the amenities of a sleep away camp. They have more than 70,000 square feet of indoor air-conditioned activity space. Campers eat lunch in the catering hall. Outdoor activities include: rock climbing, zip lines, bungee trampolines, low and high ropes courses, go-carts, bumper boats and water cannons, horseback riding, golf, tennis and many more. Camp program includes daily elective choices, weekly special events and travel programs for older children. Call 609-208-9050 or visit www.frogbridge.com.
- Genius Kids Academy – Marlboro/Morganville – NJ – This camp is for children ages 2-12. Weekly and Bi-weekly themes are offered and reinforced through art projects, edible art, guest speakers and daily field trips. A variety of artistic programs are offered including: piano lessons, ballet, hip-hop and ballroom dance. The travel summer camp provides campers an opportunity to go on a variety of field trips. You can visit www.genius-kids.us or call 732-851-6427.
- Freehold Gymnastics Club – Freehold, NJ – Recently received a complete renovation with new waiting rooms, party room and gymnasium. Most of the teachers have been there for more than 19 years. They are offering a Recession Buster Sale and if you sign up before March 30, summer camp is half price! Contact 732-294-9559 and visit them on the web at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Hebrew Center – Marlboro, NJ – Celebrating its fifth anniversary and has just announced its new Jewish Arts and Music Camp for Summer 2012. This is an independent Hebrew learning center. Students of all ages study Hebrew and Jewish topics. It offers an alternative for those seeking an affordable and flexible Hebrew and Jewish education for their children. Their website is www.thehebrewcorner.com and their phone number is 732-907-3006.
- Ivy League Day Camp – Manalapan, NJ – Owned and operated by the Leiser family for over 30 years. It is the only day camp in the Manalapan/Marlboro area accredited by the ACA. The camp offers heated pools, water park, large bumper boat pool, hot lunch and door-to-door transportation. Call 732-446-7035 or visit www.ivyleaguedaycamp.com
- Kinderland Learning Center/Summer Fun Day Camp – Marlboro, NJ – Private, Independent school dedicated to the social and intellectual development of children. Located on a 4-acre country campus the outdoor facilities include a playground, sports field, miniature golf, picnic area and more. They offer low student-to-teacher ratios and ensure each child gets the individual attention they need. A full remedial team is available to students for speech, English as a second language, child study and school nurse. They serve campers ages 2 ½ to 15 years old. Contact 732-431-0718 or www.kinderlandlearningcenter.com
- `Pied Piper Preschool and Summer Camp – Manalapan, NJ – This camp has been serving the area for more than 40 years. Curriculums are designed appropriately for each age group and teaching methods are creative and innovative. Everything is scaled down in size to promote comfort in the young child. All programs are available for a variety of days and times. Extended hours are also offered. Call 732-446-3636 for more information.
These are just a few of the camps in the area – there are many more but these are the camps I have researched thus far. I feel when the time comes it is going to be very difficult to choose the right camp for my children. I feel a camp experience can have a significant impact on our children’s lives and it is important for us to take the time to make a well-educated decision.